- "It is against the grain of modern education to teach children to
memorize. What fun is there in making plans, acquiring discipline in
organizing thoughts, devoting attention to detail, and learning to be
-- adapted from Alan Perlis
- "A map says to you 'Read me carefully, follow me closely, doubt me
not'. It says 'I am the Earth in the palm of your hand; without me you are
alone and lost'"
-- Beryl Markham ('West With The Night')
- "Not only is it easy to lie with maps, it's essential. A map, by its
very nature, must distort reality."
-- Mark Monmonier ('How To Lie
- "Geography blended with time equals destiny."
-- Joseph Brodsky,
quoted in William Least Heat-Moon's "prairyerth, a deep map"
- "Everything is related to everything else, but near things are more
related than distant things."
-- Tobler's First Law of Geography
- "All things by a mortal power near or far, hiddenly to each other linked
are, that thou canst not stir a flower without the troubling of a
-- Francis Thompson, "The Mistress of Version"
- "If, as we like to say, ' geography is the place where history happens'
then we should also recognize that 'physical geography is the place where
cultural geography happens.'"
-- Muncel Chang
- "La geographie, ca sert, d'abord, a faire la guerre"
-- Yves Lacoste
- Our bombs are smarter than the average high school student. At least they
can find Kuwait.
-- A. Whitney Brown
- Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography.
-- Paul Rodriguez
- Habeam, geographer of wide renown,
Native of Abu-Kebar's ancient town,
In passing thence along the river Zam
To the adjacent village of Xelam,
Bewildered by the multitude of roads,
Got lost, lived long on migratory toads,
Then from exposure miserably died,
And grateful travelers bewailed their guide.
-- Henry Hankhorn
- Geographer, n. A chap who can tell you offhand the difference between the
outside of the world and the inside.
-- From Ambrose Bierce's DEVIL'S
- Last year I received a most complimentary letter from Dr. William V.
Davidson, chairman of the Department of Geography and Anthropology at
Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. The letter described his
efforts in creating a fully credited geography course called Geography,
based on Jimmy Buffet's Songs." I was thrilled and honored. One of my pet
peeves is the indifference educators and students feel toward geography.
It is small minds and small thinkers who don't consider anything outside
of their neighborhood important. We are citizens of the world. You'd
better come to terms with that concept or get ready to spend your life
behind a fast-food counter.
-- Jimmy Buffett, "A Pirate Looks At 50"