1. Marthas Vineyard (MA) --> Martha's Vineyard (YES)
2. Ikes Point (NJ) --> Ike's Point (YES)
3. Harpers Ferry (WV) --> Harpers Ferry (NO)
4. Jamestown (VA, RI) --> Jamestown (NO)
5. St. Albans (Newfoundland) --> St. Alban's (YES)
6. St. Albans (ME, MO, NY, DE, VT, WV) --> St. Albans (NO)
7. St. Andrews (PEI, Nova Scotia) --> St. Andrews (NO)
8. St. Andrews (Newfoundland) --> St. Andrew's (YES)
9. St. Martins Reef (FL) --> St. Martins Reef (NO)
10. St. Simons Island (GA) --> St. Simons Island (NO)
In the US, the board of geographic names has disallowed all apostrophes except for the three above (#1, 2, and 10) and two others that are obviously possessives, John E's Pond in Rhode Island, and Carlos Elmer's Joshua View, in Arizona. The rule in Canada seems to be less strict -- some names keep the apostrophe, others don't.
Back to Quiz »
Additional quizzes, and other resources, now
available. Click Here to get more
information about ordering sets of geography quizzes.