1. Countries where Portuguese is a major language: Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau, Mozambique, Portugal, Macao, Sao Tome & Principe.
2. Countries where English is important, one per continent: North America: USA, Canada; South America: Trinidad & Tobago, Falkland Islands, Guyana; Europe: U.K.; Africa: South Africa, Kenya, other former British colonies; Asia: India, Hong Kong, Philippines; Oceania: Australia, New Zealand.
3. There are at least 50 countries where Islam is a major religion: Among the biggest are Algeria, Bangladesh, Brunei, Egypt, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sudan, Syria, Turkey.
4. Countries with a desert, one per continent: North America: USA (Painted Desert, Arizona); South America: Chile (Atacama); Africa: South Africa (Kalahari); Asia: Mongolia (Gobi), Iran; Australia: Australia (Great Australian); Europe: no deserts in Europe.
5. There are endless possible answers. Here are some samples: In Los Angeles it is 12:00 noon; Denver=1:00 p.m.; Chicago=2:00 p.m.; Caracas=4:00 p.m.; Rio de Janeiro=5:00 p.m.; London=8:00 p.m.; Rome=9:00 p.m.; Athens=10:00 p.m.; Moscow=11:00 p.m.; Bangkok=3 :00 a.m. next day; Hong Kong=4:00 a.m. next day; Tokyo=5:00 p.m. next day; Sydney=6:00 a.m. next day.
6. Rain forests: Brazil; Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama; Nigeria, Cameroon, C.A.R., Zaire, Congo; Madagascar; India, Bangla Desh, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam; Malaysia; Indonesia; Philippines. And the US, with both temperate (in Washington State) and tropical (in Hawaii) rainforests.
7. High birth rates, high death rates, and low life expectancy (in order of life expectancy rate, lowest first): Afghanistan, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Guinea, Somalia, Niger, Angola, Mali, C.A.R., Chad, Senegal, Benin, Malawi, Mozambique, Mauritania, Burkina Faso.
8. Low birth rates, low death rates, and high life expectancy: (79) Japan; (78) Canada, Costa Rica, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Israel, Australia; (77) Austria, Belgium, Norway, UK; (76) U.S., Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, New Zealand.
9. Major automobile manufacturers: France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Sweden, U.K., U.S.A.
10. Petroleum producers, by continent: Africa: Algeria, Nigeria, Libya; Asia: Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, U.A.E., China; South America: Venezuela, Argentina, Brazil; N. America: Canada, Mexico, U.S.; Europe: U.K., Norway, Russia; Oceania: Au stralia.
Back to Quiz »
Additional quizzes, and other resources, now
available. Click Here to get more
information about ordering sets of geography quizzes.